REVIEW: KISS – The Ritz On Fire (2013)
KISS – The Ritz On Fire (2013 Gold Fish, recorded 1988)
This is hard to get. I got mine via eBay; Scott the Scot found his locally. Fandom went into panic mode when all Amazon pre-orders were abruptly cancelled. We all figured that Kiss’ lawyers stopped its release. It had still made it to the manufacturing stage, and enough copies have surfaced on the market that it is already a collectible that can be afforded.
If you love that poorly documented period that is late 80’s Kiss, you will love The Ritz On Fire. August 12, 1988, The Ritz, New York City. A radio broadcast, from the Crazy Nights tour. It’s not live album quality, but it’s a radio broadcast and therefore listenable. There are issues on some songs, such as “Love Gun” where Paul’s voice is too low in the mix while the drums remain more than audible. It’s such a joy to have a live recording with Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick that fans will be happy to overlook such defects.
It’s also cool to revisit some under-appreciated Kiss klassics: “Fits Like A Glove” from Lick It Up, “War Machine” from Creatures, and “Tears Are Falling” from Asylum are among the songs that are hard to find in live form. It’s also a pleasure to hear this lineup tackle Destroyer‘s “Shout It Out Loud” which was rarely performed back then.
MVP: No disprect to the late Eric Carr intended, but Bruce Kulick blows me away with his dexterity and diversity. His solos are highlights of every single song. He doesn’t emulate his predecessors, nor does he play inappropriately for the songs. Also worth mentioning is Paul Stanley. Once they get the vocal levels right, it’s a pleasure to hear Paul Stanley at his vocal peak singing live. The songs aren’t all downtuned like they are today, and some songs like “Crazy Crazy Nights” are really up there.
Eric Carr…he had his own style, and after hearing Eric Singer ably fill his shoes for so long now, we can be reminded how Eric Carr played them. He had his own signature drum rolls, and of course that unmistakable raspy voice on “Black Diamond”. Nobody was confusing Eric Carr with Peter Criss, on the drums or on the microphone; Eric’s rasp was completely different from Peter’s. He was almost a cross between Criss and Simmons.
Best of all, this is really live. We saw Kiss “singing” to backing tapes at Dodger Stadium on Saturday January 25 on national television. Meanwhile, Paul wasn’t actually singing anything at all. Not so on The Ritz On Fire. Yes, keyboardist Gary Corbett was backstage sweetening the sound and adding backing vocals, but they were live. The Ritz On Fire is all the stronger for it.
More KISS at mikeladano.com:
Record Store Tales Part 3: My First KISS + Part 8: You Wanted the Best +
Part 77: Psycho-Circus + Part 151: 24kt KISS…cheap at twice the price +
Part 152: Carnival of Lost Souls + Part 173: Gene Simmons’ Asylum Demos +
Part 179: Phantom of the Opera + Part 241: Halloween, KISS style!
Comments of Rock
|J. on REVIEW: I Mother Earth –…|
|1537 on REVIEW: George Lynch – S…|
|1537 on #387: Standing Alone…|
|stephen1001 on #387: Standing Alone…|
|mikeladano on #387: Standing Alone…|
- REVIEW: I Mother Earth – Blue Green Orange (1999)
- #387: Standing Alone
- REVIEW: George Lynch – Sacred Groove (1993)
- DVD REVIEW: Helix – S.E.X. Rated (2000)
- #386: ‘The Mighty Priest’ – A Mix CD
- REVIEW: Van Halen – OU812 (1988)
- #385: The Epic of the Garlic Sausage Apocalypse
- #384.5: Little Ani
- REVIEW: Fu Manchu – King of the Road (1999)
- REVIEW: Quiet Riot – Condition Critical (1984)
- #384: The Messenger
- REVIEW: Van Halen – Tokyo Dome Live in Concert (2015 – LeBrain’s review)
- REVIEW: Rock Star Supernova – Rock Star Supernova (2006)
- BOOK REVIEW: Jesse Ventura – American Conspiracies (2010)
Recent ‘Likes’ of Rock
- @patrickdynamite I Mother Earth - Blue Green Orange (1999) wp.me/p2hc2t-a4W via @MikeLadano 1 hour ago
- REVIEW: I Mother Earth – Blue Green Orange (1999) wp.me/p2hc2t-a4W 9 hours ago
- #387: Standing Alone wp.me/p2hc2t-a9K 1 day ago
- #TBT A Few Words for Days Gone By... wp.me/p2hc2t-4OL via @MikeLadano 2 days ago
- #keepcalm http://t.co/jhnvyFNdaJ 2 days ago