RECORD STORE TALES Part 278: The Return of Dan Dan the Box Set Man
Astute LeBrain readers may recall that one of my customers, Dan aka “Box Set Man”, always had cool stuff in his collection. It was he that gave me an original Ritchie Blackmore photo from a private collection in Part 168: The Constipated Ritchie Blackmore. In January 2005 he appeared at my door once again to sell me some goodies. While I did not record everything Dan sold to me that day, I did take note of the five that I was going to add to my personal collection!
Please excuse me if I sounded a little over excited. I always tried to journal honestly!
Date: 2005/01/11 21:43
Oh God oh God oh God!
YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THE AMAZING ITEMS THAT CAME INTO WORK TODAY. I am going to have an expensive January. I am going to MISS this part of my job. [I had applied to several jobs.]
Here’s the complete list of cool shit that I need to buy:
1. DVD – Harold & Kumar. We got in two used copies already! [It was only released the week before, on Jan 4.]
2. CDs – Deep Purple 25th Annivesary box set–JAPANESE IMPORT BABY! Not much on there that I “need” but it does have all three edits of “Burn”, in fact it looks to have every single edit from every 7″. Also has two mono mixes. Must have.
3. CD – Jethro Tull – Bursting Out-Live (remastered)
4. CD – Jethro Tull – Jethro Tull Christmas Album
5. CD – Queen – On Fire: Live At The Hollywood Bowl
One cool thing is that I still have all five of these items, all still in the same condition that I found them in! Thanks Dan, wherever you may be….