Super Troopers 2 delights but is destined become just another cult film
Directed by: Jay Chandrasekhar
It took 17 years and a crowdfunding campaign, but we now live in a world where a sequel to Super Troopers (2001) exists! Judging by the mostly empty theatre on Saturday afternoon, Super Troopers 2 looks to become…another cult film. Which is a shame really, because these beloved screwup cops are adored for a reason. And that reason is Rod Farva.
Fear not Farva fans, for your favourite character played by Kevin Heffernan is again the butt of everyone’s pranks. Thorny, Foster, Mac, Rabbit (still the rookie!) and Captain O’Hagen are reunited once again by Governor Jessman (Lynda Carter), who insists it’s the entire original team. That means they’re stuck with Rod Farva like deja-vu. Maybe they can stick him with the radio.
You see, only Vermont’s favourite cops can handle this job. It turns out a big chunk of Canada near the border was surveyed wrong. It actually belongs to the United States, and custody is about to be handed over. The local Mounties will be replaced by US cops. And that’s our gang. How d’you think that’s gonna go over in Canada, eh? Will we still be allowed to listen to Rush?
Mayor Guy LeFranc (Rob Lowe) is an ex-hockey enforcer known as the “Halifax Explosion”. (Fun fact: in real life, actor Rob Lowe is “obsessed” with the historical Halifax explosion of 1917.) He seems friendly, but the locals and Mounties take an instant dislike to the US cops. (Will Sasso, who really is Canadian, plays the funniest of the three Mounties. Brampton’s Tyler Labine plays another.) As you can imagine the drama unfolds against a backdrop of US and Canadian stereotypes. Guns and “MAGA” vs. beer and “Eh”.
Our favourite cops find a hidden stash of drugs on abandoned property. Sending them to a lab for testing would take two weeks, so of course they sample the drugs themselves to identify them. This is how Thorny played by Jay Chandrasekhar becomes addicted to a hormone product called “Flova Scotia”.
Fans won’t want any more spoiled. There are cameos too, so don’t look at the Wikipedia page and just wait to be surprised. It was pleasant to see Marisa Coughlan (Chief Ursulu Hanson) and Lynda Carter back from the original film. Brian Cox (Captain O’Hagen) is a serious Scottish actor of impeccable reputation (the Royal Shakespeare Company for example), and the fact that he came back for Super Troopers 2 must mean he’s a good shit.
Original music was performed by Eagles of Death Metal. Give them credit for a good soundtrack, including a cover of “Blinded by the Light”.
Super Troopers 2 follows the formula of the first, meaning the plot doesn’t matter because you’re just waiting for the next prank. Honestly though, this drug smuggling plot is an original one that has probably never been done before. Expect some jokes from the original to be sequel-ed. Liters of cola, “meow”…just go see it.
Super Troopers 2 is playing now at a theatre near you.
Super Troopers are:
- Jay Chandrasekhar as Senior Trooper Arcot “Thorny” Ramathorn
- Paul Soter as Trooper Jeff Foster
- Steve Lemme as Trooper MacIntyre “Mac” Womack
- Erik Stolhanske as Trooper Robert “Rabbit” Roto
- Kevin Heffernan as Trooper Rodney “Rod” Farva
- and Kevin Heffernan as Captain John O’Hagen
Soundtrack album tracklisting:
1. Tooth Fairy – Super Troopers 2 Cast
2. Blinded By the Light – Eagles of Death Metal
3. Got the Power – Eagles of Death Metal
4. Litre of Cola – Super Troopers 2 Cast
5. Saturday Night Blues – Natural Child
6. Caulk – Super Troopers 2 Cast
7. Shit Makes the Flowers Grow – Folk Uke
8. Penal Colony – Dog Trumpet
9. Fruit Gum – Super Troopers 2 Cast
10. Big Bear – Steak
11. Easy Eating – Naked Giants
12. Fuck a Moose – Super Troopers 2 Cast
13. Shasta Beast – Eagles of Death Metal
14. French Excerpt – Super Troopers 2 Cast
15. Baby, I Won’t Do You No Harm – The Sheepdogs
16. 80Kmh – Super Troopers 2 Cast
17. If You Ain’t Got the Money – Who Are Those Guys
18. Lyin’ – Charlie Patton’s War
19. Complexity – Eagles of Death Metal
20. All My Friends – Blackout Party
21. Secret Plans – Eagles of Death Metal
22. Wham – Super Troopers 2 Cast