First, they did Star Wars. Due to popular demand, they did Empire next. And just as Jedi was the weakest of the original trilogy, so is Family Guy’s version.
The full 57 minute episode “It’s A Trap!”, available on its own for those who only like the Star Wars spoofs, follows the same concept as the first two. Favourite Family Guy characters portray the legendary characters from Star Wars. After two, though, the well seems rather dry. Presumably running out of original characters, they peppered the cast with characters from both American Dad and The Cleveland Show. Rollo Brown, Klaus the Fish and Roger the Alien are some of the characters making a Family Guy appearance in the Star Wars universe.
Still, it must have been awful dry in that well when they were writing this.
“It’s A Trap!” had moments that were as funny as any previous Family Guy Star Wars. Then there were stretches that that were as dull and uninspired as Seth MacFarlane’s worst. It was very much a rocky ride, but luckily the good outweighed the bad in this episode.
- As always, the surprise of what characters are playing who (which I won’t spoil, google it if you must know).
- Many celebrity cameos (again I won’t give you spoilers).
- The Emperor rocked.
- Looked awesome in 1080p.
- Ample bonus features (similar to previous instalments). Even the Trivial Pursuit challenge was fun for one viewing.
- Boring Yoda.
- One scene where Peter/Han snaps and torments three Imperial officers…just took it too far.
- MacFarlane likes jokes that go on too long, but they didn’t work this time.
Pick it up and complete your trilogy.
Or, you know, just watch it on Netflix.
And, no — there is next to a 0% chance that Disney will let Seth do any more Star Wars.