August 1990: It was the Magic Summer Tour and the Perfect Gentlemen were opening for New Kids On the Block at the CNE in Toronto. That was the big news. With all that teenage hype looming outside the big glass MuchMusic windows in the form of young girls, in walked Rik Emmett with his first solo material since leaving Triumph in 1988. Nobody knew what to expect!
Interviewer Steve Anthony is his usual goofy self and loosens Rik up with a few joke questions about New Kids, Perfect Gentlemen and the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, before diving into the big ones.
- What artistic expression was he not able to fulfil in Triumph but now can as a solo artist?
- The new album Absolutely and the response from Triumph fans and the music industry.
- The writing process.
- Hair production.
- The Judas Priest trial.
- His (awesome) new six piece band.
- Being a guitar player vs singer/songwriter.
- The new song and video “Big Lie”.
That’s it for my Rik Emmett treasure from the Archives, I hope you enjoyed them.
VHS ARCHIVES #25: RIK EMMETT OF TRIUMPH – THE HOLY GRAIL OF VIDEOS – POWER HOUR 1987 LIVE PERFORMANCE
VHS ARCHIVES #109: RIK EMMETT – THE AXEMEN COMETH (1988)