Yesterday the world lost David Bowie, to cancer, at age 69. While I own absolutely no Bowie in my collection (aside from covers of his music and guest appearances on Queen albums) I have always admired the man’s creativity. He goes to places I don’t even understand, and maybe that’s why I never “got” David Bowie. While recognizing his genius I was unable to penetrate beyond the singles. Perhaps I should try again.
In the meantime, plenty of folks far and wide have posted tributes to the man, his music and even his movies. Rather than pretend I know what I’m talking about, I’ll let these fine writers do it instead. Rest in Peace, David Bowie.
And fuck you, cancer.
- Rich Kamerman’s comprehensive 9-part Bowie series, and a new post called DAVID BOWIE – We Live For Just These Twenty Years
- Jay at Assholes Watching Movies – Farewell to the Goblin King
- Derek Kortepeter at mixolydianblog – David Bowie “I listened to Space Oddity when I heard and started just sobbing.”
- Bruce at Vinyl Connection – BEREFT (no words, just great photos), and also 12 BOWIE REFLECTIONS (with words!)
- Stone at Metal Odyssey – David Bowie Rest in Peace 1947-2016
- Aaron at KeepsMeAlive – R.I.P. David Bowie “You’ll all write more eloquent and moving memorials, when all I can think is ‘well, fuck!’”
- Geoff at the 1001Albums – So sad, so beautiful
- Every Record Tells a Story – David Bowie: His Music and his Legacy
Last and not least,
- Joe at 1537 – David Bowie R.I.P. (“The planet is, without a doubt, a touch poorer than it was yesterday.”)
He always looked so young.