GETTING MORE TALE #520: Musical Firsts
What are your “musical firsts”? Here are mine! Let’s start with concerts.
- First concert: Johnny Cash (1983)
- First highschool concert: Free Fare (1986)
- First rock concert: Helix (1987)
Who remembers Free Fare? They billed themselves as “the band from Florida” (there was only one?) and toured highschools all over the US and Canada. They played Grand River Collegiate in my grade nine year, performing popular covers and giving away Free Fare bandanas.
How about your first musical instruments?
- First instrument played – bass guitar
- First instrument bought – electric guitar
- First instrument smashed – the same electric guitar, smashed by my sister
Finally I’m sure you all remember your first albums. Here are mine:
- First remembered LP: Star Wars – soundtrack
- First rock LP: Styx – Kilroy Was Here
- First rock cassette: Quiet Riot – Metal Health
- First pop cassette: Michael Jackson – Thriller
- First rock CD: Alice Cooper – Trash
- First instrumental album: Steve Vai – Passion & Warfare
- First blues CD: Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues
- First jazz CD: Burnin’ For Buddy (Buddy Rich tribute)
- First country CD: something by Blue Rodeo
- First comedy CD: The Jerky Boys
- First classical CD: Ottorino Respighi – The Pines of Rome
- First electronica CD: Prodigy – Fat of the Land
- First rap CD: Puff Daddy – “Come With Me” CD single
- First grunge cassette – Alice in Chains – Dirt
- First Spice Girls: Melanie C – Northern Star
Leave a comment with some of your memorable musical firsts!