On the last few Toronto drives, one band keeps getting played over and over again. When I return from my hiatus I’m going to be writing a lot about Blotto. Their upbeat, comedic rock and roll has been everything we needed. There have been dark days these past weeks, but Blotto helps make us laugh again. Blotto formed in the late 70s, never signed to a major label, released one album and several singles, and became a cult band.
One day before hitting the highway, I checked out a Blotto concert from 1982 on Youtube called Tonight At Toad’s. It had Jen’s favourite song (“It’s Not You”) and two of mine (“Metal Head” and “Goodbye, Mr. Bond”). I flipped the concert to mp3 and put it on the car stereo. Together we found a new favourite, “I Wanna be a Lifeguard”, their first hit from 1979.
Music helps. Every little thing helps.
Selected Road Tunes:
- Blotto – Tonight at Toad’s
- Deep Purple – The Book of Taliesyn
- Deep Purple – With Orchestra: Live at Montreaux
- Deep Purple – The House of Blue Light
- Budgie – Deliver Us From Evil
- Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson & Steve Vai – G3 Live in Concert
- The Darkness – Live at Hammersmith
- The Sword – Used Future