Part Thirty-Nine of the Def Leppard Review Series
DEF LEPPARD – Yeah! Live (CD Collection Volume 3 Disc 6) (2021)
On the very last disc of the third volume of Def Leppard’s CD Collection box set series, we finally take some previously missing B-sides off the table and into your collection. This is the shortest of the discs in this set, with only eight tracks. However the rarity firepower is high. They call it Yeah! Live, making it the third album in the ret-conned Yeah! covers series.
1. It’s almost inexcusable that “Elected” hasn’t popped on these box sets yet, being a 1987 live version with Steve Clark, released in 1992 on the “Heaven Is” CD single. Its most logical release point was the fine 2006 deluxe edition of Hysteria, chronologically speaking, but it was not included on the otherwise comprehensive 7 disc 2017 Hysteria box set either. For a while it seemed this B-side had slipped through the cracks, but here it is opening Yeah! Live. It is the second time an Alice Cooper song has appeared in this box set, though this is obviously the earliest recording of them all. Screamin’ Joe is in prime-time form and Steve Clark has been missed on this box set.
2. “Action”. Completing the Target bonus tracks from the Yeah! release, its “Action” live. Recorded somewhere on the 2005 tour, here it is, and it’s a stunningly good version. Leppard at their heaviest, covering Sweet. No problem. Thanks for checking this box in the collection.
3. “No Matter What”. The last of the Best Buy bonus tracks from the Yeah! album. Same as above, recorded live somewhere unspecified on the 2005 tour. The Leppard studio original was included on the main Yeah! track listing, but this is its first and only live release to date. Nice solid pop rock, and a good version to boot.
4. “Rock On”. Recorded live in 2006. Not a bad version in fact, of a song that’s pretty “meh” usually. They take it to a really Zeppelin-y “Levy Breaks” kind of place at the end. It does not say “previously unreleased” on this track, but it also does not state where it was released before. You can get different live versions on the Leppard releases The Lost Sessions, And There Will Be A Next Time…, and Mirrorball Live.
5. “Travelling Band” with Brian May, live in 1983. I’ll quote myself from my review of Pyromania Live from the deluxe edition of that album: “The long friendship between Leppard and Queen began right here. A cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s ‘Travelling Band’ is the earliest recording of Joe and May together, but certainly not the last! This is not only a piece of history, but it’s a brilliant track! Joe’s screaming voice is strangely well suited to an overblown CCR cover. But hearing the guitar trio solo together, each with their own style, is the real icing on the cake. May is so creamy!”
6. “Now I’m Here” with Brian May, live in 1992. From the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, and previously released on the Adrenalize deluxe and the 1993 “Tonight” CD single. A brilliant version of one of Queen’s hard rockers, and the Brian May solo is as thrilling as you’d expect. One of the highlight performances at the Freddie Mercury concert.
7. “20th Century Boy” with Brian May, live in 2006 from the VH1 Rock Honors show. Previously unreleased! Automatically superior to Leppard’s studio version due to the wall of guitars caused by the presence of Dr. Brian May. Awesome solo work.
8. “All The Young Dudes” with Ian Hunter, from Hunter’s rare Once Bitten Twice Shy album. First ever release on a Def Leppard collection. Joe’s favourite song and really thick sounding. Too thick, perhaps. Ian Hunter takes all the lead vocals with Leppard joining him on the backings. Really cool to end this box set with Ian Hunter, and nice to finally get this song. Scratch it off your wishlists.
Pretty good, if a bit weird, collection of all the live covers not included on previous discs in this series, and some unreleased stuff too. It’s a bit odd to get stuff like “Elected” and “Travelling Band” that are better suited to earlier discs, but here they are and that’s what’s important. That brings Vol 3 of the CD Collection to an end, and it’s nice to have closure for some of the single B-sides.
- The Early Years Disc One – On Through the Night
- The Early Years Disc Two – High N’ Dry
- The Early Years Disc Three – When The Walls Came Tumbling Down: Live at the New Theater Oxford – 1980
- The Early Years Disc Four – Too Many Jitterbugs – EP, singles & unreleased
- The Early Years Disc 5 – Raw – Early BBC Recordings
- The Early Years 79-81 (Summary)
- Pyromania Live – L.A. Forum, 11 September 1983
- Soundtrack From the Video Historia – Record Store Tales
- In The Round In Your Face DVD
- “Let’s Get Rocked” – The Wait for Adrenalize – Record Store Tales
- Live at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert
- Vault: Def Leppard’s Greatest Hits / Limited Edition Live CD
- Video Archive
- “Slang” CD single
- I Got A Bad Feeling About This: Euphoria – Record Store Tales
- Rarities 2
- Rarities 3
- Rarities 4
- Cybernauts – Live
- Cybernauts – The Further Adventures of the Cybernauts (bonus disc)
- Best Of (UK)
- Rock Of Ages: The Definitive Collection
- Yeah! Bonus CD With Backstage Interviews
- Yeah…Nah! (Recored Store Tales)
- Songs From the Sparkle Lounge
- “C’Mon C’Mon” (picture disc)
- Taylor Swift & Def Leppard – CMT Crossroads (DVD)
- Yeah! II
40. Mirror Ball – Live & More (Japanese import)
41. iTunes re-recordings
42. Viva Hysteria