RECORD STORE TALES #1001: 50
Well, it happened. After two and a half years of no illnesses whatsoever, this boy finally got sick a couple days before his 50th birthday. Not Covid, thank fuck. Just the cold that seems to be going around “like wildfire” according to our pharmacist. Sunday night it hit like a ton of bricks and I was in bed by 5:30. Monday I was coughing with a sore throat and spent the entire day in bed, a couple hours here and there aside. Tuesday I was well enough to go back to work. Dead tired though.
And so, this 50th birthday that was supposed to be a simple movie night with the parents is now a night at home by ourselves. Can’t bring this cold into their house. Additionally, because I didn’t go into work on Monday, I cancelled my planned day off on Friday. Just not enough time left in the week to get everything done. We were supposed to do a 50th birthday celebration at the lake but that won’t be happening.
As miserable as I felt, it’s nice to get the birthday messages. Because I can, I’ll boast a bit about the celebrity birthday wishes. I’m always a little shellshocked when guys like this wish me a happy birthday:
- Brent Jensen, the author and podcaster who always makes my skin vibrate
- Mike Fraser, world-class producer and mixer extraordinaire
- Brent Doerner, Helix guitarist
- Greg Fraser, Brighton Rock and Storm Force axe-slinger
- Michael Willerding, former drummer for Russian Blue and Feel
- Rik Fox, original W.A.S.P. bassist who messaged all the way from Facebook jail
Even though I feel like I need an extended
That is the exact moment while writing this post on a snack break that my cell phone rang.
Same old, same old, same old. The mall called. My beautiful wife had a seizure. This time, she fell flat on her face and cut her lip. She looks absolutely brutal right now. It hurts my heart.
Had to leave work early. I’m exhausted. She’s pretty sore.
Let’s focus on the good. Trying to focus on the good.
OK, the good:
- Happy birthday wishes from all my friends and relatives
- Surprise birthday pizza and pasta from our pharmacist, Vu
- Surprise birthday parcel from Thor, aka Thunder Blackmore (it’s just cool getting a text message that says “You have a parcel from Thor”)
- Jen is safe
I was going to do a big unboxing of Thor’s parcel but I am dead tired now. I need rest. And what says “you’re 50 years old now” better than a nap?
It can only get better from here. Happy 50th, to me.